Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 45 mins | Total time: 50 mins
serves 15 slices
**suitable for vegetarians**
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 wheat flour
- 3 tbsp Dried Carrot
- 2 tbsp soy powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or heavy ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Tilt skillet to coat sides. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup brown sugar. Arrange pineapple on bottom of skillet; set aside.
- Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup hot water, molasses, and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Add butter mixture gradually to flour mixture, stirring until well blended. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a round platter. Scrape any sugar mixture left in a skillet over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.